Saturday, January 29, 2011

Day 29 - January 29, 2011

First thing this morning Tiffany put an old dog sweater on Pesty. Pesty didn't like it which I don't understand, I mean come on, it's Packer colors!...


The little fashion show was just the start of what turned out to be an "all about pets" day. Natalie and I both decided we would get the animals we had on hold. We got Natalie's first...(because she was the most anxious.)

She was very happy...
That critter is unbelievably tiny...


Here it is with a quarter for scale...


Tiffany looked at a little hamster too, but she didn't get it even though it was also really cute.


Then we went to the other pet store to look at the rabbit. Things didn't go exactly like I had planned , because instead of the rabbit I had on hold we came home with...


that rabbit, and another one as well! The gray one hadn't been there yesterday, and they were both so mellow and handle-able (is that a word?) we couldn't decide. Of course the pet-store guy tried to be "helpful" by saying he would sell us the second one at half price. (I think he felt bad about the rat incident from yesterday.) Anyway, now instead of one classroom rabbit, I have two. Well, maybe only one. I don't think Tiffany is going to be able to let the gray one leave the house.


I'm sure you are all wondering what we came up with for names for the new members of the family. I will put you out of your suspense immediately.
The tiny hamster is named Fiyero (fee-air-o) after a character in the musical "Wicked."
Tiffany named the gray bunny Hope. :)
We couldn't decide on a name for the black one. Right now it is being called Muy-mala-yummy-stew. Muy mala is Spanish for "very bad". This is because she right away proved that she was willing to get herself in trouble. (She is so small her head and shoulders fit through the bars of the play yard and we had to improvise to keep her from escaping.) Yummy-stew is in deference to Nick who will probably just call her something like that anyway. Right now we're just calling her Mala.

While we were playing with the bunnies Jim heard water dripping and made the unpleasant discovery of water leaking through the window in the fire-place room. He went outside and found that we had some serious ice-dams built up. The only thing to do was to crawl up there and chip it off.

It didn't look like very much fun...


...but it seems to have worked. We're just thankful we were home. That would have been an awful mess to come home to if we'd been at work.

While we were out shopping I found and purchased these very elegant necklaces to wear for the Super Bowl. Aren't you jealous?

Yes, they're cheese wedges!

Then, in honor of National Puzzle Day, I dug out an old puzzle we had in the  basement. It pictures all kinds of chocolate. The title is "nobody knows the truffles I've seen". Can't wait to get at it!


Just as I was wrapping up this blog Richard came online and we were able to chat a little bit! He only had a few hours of break before having to go back but he was able to tell me about what they've been doing. They've just finished the biggest portion of their training which he said was a platoon and company level assault on some trenches. He said it went very well but there was also a sad incident. One of the bomb dogs was killed. It mistook a training bomb (a large firecracker) for one of it's training toys. The dog's handler will no longer be deploying with Richard's group. He'd just gone through a divorce and his brother had also just been killed in Afghanistan, now with the loss of his dog it's just too much. My heart goes out to him!

Scripture Passage of the Day:
Psalm 119:50
My comfort in my suffering is this:
Your promise preserves my life.

Photo of the Day:

Awww!

2 comments: