Monday, October 29, 2012

Special Edition - The Fairlane

Dear Frenchie,

You are gonna LOVE this car! (And if you don't I WANT IT!!!!)

I had the privilege of driving it almost all day yesterday. It has a wonderful rumble that honestly doesn't mean much to me, but I recognize it as something that Jim and Nick appreciate in cars. It has fanstastic acceleration and makes the suburban (which I always thought had a lot of power) seem a little wimpy by comparison. The heat works VERY well (cooks your feet! :) The defrost works too. The wipers work very well, it hugs the road on corners, stops smoothly (although the brakes do grab VERY quickly and tend to not release immediately making the car "stutter" a little.) I took these pictures for you...


The seat belt is "old school". The section that retracts on the left is only about 6" long. You have to pull the rest of the belt across from the right and click it in and then snug it up. There is no shoulder belt. I admit it took me a while to figure that out as my daughter lovingly documented in this picture...

 
Insert yourself behind the wheel here... :)
 

 
 
My absolute favorite feature of this car...the front vent windows, LOVE 'EM. Lots of fresh air, no mussed up hair. Why did they stop making these?!! (Because guys design cars! That's why. There's never a good place to put your purse either, just sayin')

 
 
This was initially my least favorite feature of this car, a non-working fuel guage. It either reads completely empty...

 
...or completely full.
 
 
 
Once I got used to it it didn't bother me as much. We just don't take chances and fill up at every stop. (Haven't yet tried to determine MPG, will probably do that today.)
 

 This is your air conditioner (I assume.) I haven't tried it but was told it works. (Note the classy bungy cord holding  up what I think is the CD player. I didn't try that either. I'm sure you'll find a better way to assemble those things.)

 
 
This is a close up of the buttons on the air conditioner. Love the snowflake one. I'm guessing that means "on." :) Love these old cars!!
 
 


 
Speedometer works well! We kept it right around 60 but I'm sure it could go a little faster if it had to. NOT that I'm advocating that by-the-way!!!

 
 
Shift indicator on the steering column...also classic. :) The Cruise-O-Matic works great!!!



Dash details from left to right...(this will make more sense in person.)




 
 
I think this 1977 sticker is neat...put there how many years before you were born?!

 
 
This sticker is right beside it.


That's it for now...can't wait to meet you and see your reaction when you finally get your car. See  you soon!

Love, Mom Schmidt

No comments:

Post a Comment