Friday, October 26, 2012

A "Git 'er done!" Day

I didn't sleep much last night, too excited about our vacation in TWO DAYS probably. I was up literally at the crack of dawn (which was really pretty)...


...and the first thing I did was start my lists. Lists of stuff to buy, stuff to make, stuff to gather for Nick, stuff to pack...


...then I went shopping and in this cart I have almost ALL the food and supplies we will need for the week. We'll just have to stop somewhere for fresh produce once we are closer to NC.


After I had all the stuff unloaded, sorted and packed away I went outside to tackle my next big project of the day, raking the driveway. Now I'm sure that doesn't sound like a big deal to you but we have a LOOOONG driveway over which tower two HUGE maple trees and there was about a 2" thick carpet of leaves to move.


It was one of those days where I was really thankful we had the hand cart and a good rake.


After about eight loads with the cart I was also very thankful to find the Frenchie's-car-sized clean spot that required no raking!


Ten cart loads and an hour later this was my pile at the curb...


 
...and I figured I was about half done...
 
 

 
I'm sure if I had done this yesterday before the leaves were all wet and soggy and heavy from the rain it would have been an easier and faster job, but since I decided to go thrifting I guess I have no one to blame but myself.
 
Finally two hours and 16 cart loads later...TA-DA!!
 



And one gi-normous pile out front...


I'm really proud of me! :)

Our neigbor was out cleaning up her leaves today too, but she went out this morning when it was really cold...


I admit her clean-up job looks better than mine, but then I used sheer muscle instead of a mechanical device.


Natalie had off work today to pack for the trip and decided to tackle a major project of her own...cleaning her room. I'm not sure but it may have needed it, what do you think?


 


She texted me those "before" pictures and then about 10 minutes later texted me this one...



All I could say was "Ok, where's the pile?" Turns out it was mostly laundry that she stacked in a tower outside her room.



About two hours and a lot of thumping and vaccuming heard through the ceiling, she sent me these...

  


Then, because she was on a roll she also tackled cleaning the upstairs bathroom. The tub was especially grungy, but not anymore!!



I'm impressed! Good work, Natalie! Now she's working on her laundry pile, I figure if she goes non-stop until Sunday she should get it all done. :/

At about 7:45 Richard got home. He's back from New Ulm for a friend's wedding tomorrow and will be leaving on the trip with us on Sunday. Libby (as always) was especially happy to see him and gave him the usual "air kisses".



Just so Richard could get in the theme of things and be productive when he got here I left the unloading of the new couch from the suburban for him and Jim. He didn't say so, but I'm sure he appreciates my efforts to keep him involved in family things ;).


Seriously, how great does this couch look in here?



Not to be left out, Tiffany and Phil also accomplished significant things today. It is Tiffany's last shift of training/observation before she becomes an official "med-passer" at the assisted living facility where she works.



And at Ideal Phil made his first set of "jaws" (used to grip the part being made in the machine) and he also wrote his first machine program today. These are big deal things in the machinist world. We are so proud of them both!

Last but not certainly not least Jim tells me he "kicked butt" unpacking in his new office. He says he also did other things but they were "non-descript." I think that means they were necessary but tedious and he'd rather not revisit them. I don't have updated pictures of his office and the new building yet (although he assures me they are coming) but he did send me this picture of the shop floor. The machines aren't in it yet obviously but it is still REALLY impressive!!



Today is going to be hard to top, but tomorrow I'm going to finish gathering the things we need to take on the trip and get them packed up. If Natalie is not still hogging the washing machine I will also do some laundry and get the house cleaned. It will be nice to come home to find everything organized. We will also need to get the dogs dropped off at their dog-sitters. Lots to do. I hope I can find some time to work on my Halloween costume. I'm going with the scariest thing I can think of this year...a spider on my head. (Hee, hee.)



Unless tomorrow is an extremely productive day like today I'll probably have to work on it in the car on the way to NC. Have I mentioned I can't wait to leave on this trip?!!!

Photo of the Day:



Scripture Verse of the Day:

"The LORD your God has blessed you in all the work of your hands." Dt. 2:7

No comments:

Post a Comment