Friday, October 12, 2012

A Good Day

It's only 8 am and already it's been a great day - in the sense that God has once again proven his presence in our lives in two (maybe three or four?) seperate events:

Event number one: Jim left for work this morning only to surprise me by returning early. His car had died two blocks from home. He figures it's the timing belt. I could only thank God he didn't get stranded on hwy 41 or in Oshkosh because the problem required towing the car home.

Event number two: As Jim and I turn out of the drive way in the suburban to go tow Jim's car there is a sudden grinding noise and the driver's side front of the vehicle sags toward the ground. We look at each other and say simultaneously "That's not good." A quick inspection reveals that "the part that holds the vehicle up high" (Jim's words, not mine, honestly!) had broken and there are twisted metal pieces laying on the ground. Jim diagnoses that the "lower bearing went." The vehicle is half out of the driveway and into the street. Jim decides to try to move it back into the driveway but it only sags further and now the undercarriage is dragging on the ground. Jim goes to get the floor jack. After some clever manoeuvering he manages to get the front end back to an appropriate height. His plan is to pull on the jack while I gently ease the suburban back into the driveway. It all goes really well (considering we are doing this on gravel) but then -

Event number three: the jack broke. Yup, the handle came off right in his hand. At this point we are out of the street but still in the end of the driveway and now we are also across the sidewalk, but there is NO way it is moving any further. We leave it all where it sits and take the wagon to tow Jim's car. That actually went well (even though we had to go up over the curb because the suburban is blocking the driveway), but as we are creeping down our street toward home we have to wait for the garbage truck to finish his business before we can continue and I realize that in all the excitement -

Event number four: our garbage never made it to the curb. Hmmm.

Now I realize most people would consider this a bad start to the day, but after Jim left for work (finally) I was literally on my knees thanking God. Jim had made two trips to Hustisford and back last night with that suburban, once with Nick's car on the car trailer. I don't even want to think about what could have happened if that bearing broke anywhere other than the driveway or if it had happened to Tiffany who usually drives it.

I'm not sure yet how the broken jack handle or the still full garbage can are going to prove to be blessings in disguise, but I am NOT willing to underestimate the wisdom and power of God. Somehow it will be good, I'm sure of it. :)

I stuck a "SORRY, we'll move it ASAP" sign on the suburban, said another prayer of thanks when Jim let me know he made it safely to Oshkosh and have been marveling at the grace of God ever since. This is about the fourth time in our married lives that we have had a major vehicle disaster in our driveway (or easy distance from home) and no one has ever been hurt. GOD IS GOOD!

On a much lighter note I simply HAVE to mention that today is "I Love Yarn Day". I know most people couldn't care less, but as a yarn lover it is fun for me. To celebrate I devoted guilt-free time today toward finishing a project I've been working on for quite a while. I will give you a photo hint but not say what it is since it is a gift.




Hope everyone else had a good day today too!

Photos of the day:





Scripture verses of the day:
I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety. Ps. 4:8

Keep me safe, O God, for in you I take refuge. Ps. 16:1

No comments:

Post a Comment