Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year's Eve, New Year's Day Omlettes and Helicopters

2013 is officially here! This is going to be a great year, two weddings, two milestone anniversaries, Elizabeth graduates, Nick get's out of the USMC...I CAN'T WAIT!

We began the evening by attending church. That is a blessing I will never take for granted!

 
Later Jim and I ushered in the New Year at the home of Tanya's parents, Jim and Becky. 2013 came for us in the middle of a game of Crazy Canasta. I haven't played that game since I was a child and my Grandma Schultz was still alive. Amazingly it came back to me! We had a really fun time and got home around 1:30 am to find the kids all still up and gathered around the table.


It was pretty clear they had also had a good time...

 
For the newcomers I should explain that shooting confetti at midnight on whatever ceiling fixture is available is a tradition that started many years ago...

 
...and now nothing says "It's the new year!" for our family like dangling streamers posing a slight fire hazard.

In addition to their "liquid activities" the cousins also played games to fill the time until midnight. Their games of choice were Apples to Apples and Pit. I believe they also played Spoons. The last two games tend to get competetive and intense and often safety rules such as removing all jewelry or cutting fingernails are necessary. I wasn't there to see how wild things got but no one was wearing bandaids or arm slings so I'm guessing it wasn't too bad.

 
They had plenty of food too. In addition to all of the treats still around from Christmas Richard got Papa Murphy's pizzas and Natalie and Tanya worked together to make this awesome fruit pizza!
 
 
New Year's Day dawned on some very sleeping partiers who filled every possible sleeping space in the house...




 
A few of them got up a little earlier than the rest to prepare a breakfast feast...

 
 
...but soon the food prep became a group effort. Heather put together a scrumptious fruit plate...

 
 
...while Nick and Tanya made omlettes to order.
 
 
 
Nick tried out the new omlette pan he got for Christmas. It makes great omlettes!

 
 
Natalie prepared bacon just the way I like it, extra crispy.


Everyone else just hung out waiting for the food to be done...
 

 
...and debated exactly how the "ring in the new year" procedure they had choreographed for the night before had gone...
 
 
Once that was settled I took the opportunity to putz with pictures on the computer and check my email. In my email I found a fun surprise from Sylvia (the lady we got our female doxies from). They had a New Year's baby arrive a little after one a.m! It was this adorable little pony. To give you an idea of how tiny it is, the baby weighed just a little over twelve pounds which is about how much Gizmo weighs. She put it in a dog sweater to make sure it was staying warm enough. It is just the cutest thing I ever saw!

 
In my email I also was also thrilled to find a Dropbox invitation from Tanya's mom to view pictures from their Christmas vacation in Michigan. Here are a few of my favorites...





After breakfast Richard and Nick got out their helicopters. Richard is really getting good at it, and Lexi still doesn't like it...


Nick S gave a few pointers...


...and then Nick W gave it a try. He did pretty well!


We decided to take the helicopters to the Rosebowl party at Grandma and Grandpa's later today because we figured Grandpa might like to try it too!

All in all I just have to thank God for the blessing of our family. I love every single one of them and look forward to every gathering we have. I am really looking forward to all the wonderful events scheduled for 2013. Happy New Year and God's blessings to all!

Scripture Verse of the Day:
 
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jer. 29:11



No comments:

Post a Comment