Thursday, December 27, 2012

Cancer Scare, Jim's Mom, Nick's Gifts

It has been about a month and a half since my last post. A lot has happened and it seemed better to use my time to keep on track of home and family rather than blog, but things have calmed down now and there are several events that are worth mentioning. I'll probably update you over the next few blogs rather than dump it all on you at once.

One of the more significant events/situations I've been dealing with the last few weeks is the lump I found on the right side of my neck while we were in North Carolina for Nick's homecoming. I gave it a week after we returned to see if if would go down or change. When it didn't I made an appointment. After an ultrasound on Nov. 12 it was determined that I had a 5.5 cm (2.5 inches) "complex solid cyst" on the right side of my thyroid and a biopsy was scheduled for Nov 16. The results of the biopsy came back benign "for the portion they tested" so it was mixed good news. Because of the size of the lump I was referred to an ear, nose and throat doctor. After looking at the ultrasound images and biopsy results he felt that there was little risk of cancer developing in the cyst, but because of its size and location there is risk of it interferring with swallowing and the use of my vocal chords if it continues to grow. The biopsy really aggravated the cyst and a blood vessel was ruptured in the process causing the entire area to become very tender, bruised and enlarged. We decided to let it all calm down and reevaluate our next steps after waiting six weeks. Tomorrow is my next appointment with the ear, nose and throat doctor and we will decide what if anything we will do about it. Most likely we will schedule a surgery to have it removed. Stay tuned for updates on that...

Jim's Mom
The other really significant event that occurred around the time we went to North Carolina was the deteriorating health of Jim's mom, Judy. Jim's mom struggled with alchoholism for almost the entire time I knew her. She fought hard to overcome it but it was just stronger than she was and the effects of the disease were devastating to our family. The week before we left for North Carolina Judy had some episodes which resulted in her being admitted to the hospital. Over the course of the next two weeks we were told that she was experiencing major organ failure and was in fact dying. It was hard news to take. We had been hoping and praying that the rift in the family caused by the alchoholism was being repaired and were looking forward to a reunited family for the weddings next year, but that was not God's plan. In the end his plan was better. Judy was admitted to Angel's Grace Hospice in Oconomowoc, and I cannot say enough good things about that facility. Not only is it beautiful, but the care given to Judy was exceptional. Paul was able to stay with her there, and at the end he never left her side. Judy died on Nov 20. The last two weeks of her life were some of the best I ever remember spending with her. It was truly a gift from God for us all to be able to be together with her and realize all of the hurts from the past were gone. Our boys were both able to come home early and spend time with her before she died. Judy died peacefully with a beautiful smile on her face which I am convinced was the instant she saw and went with Jesus. It is such a comfort and blessing to us to know that not only is she in heaven where her struggles are over and she is in perfect peace, but that we will be joyfully reunited with her one day. Judy's visitation and funeral were held Nov. 23 and 24. Pastor Ewerdt held a beautiful service and we were able to reconnect with family members we hadn't seen in years.

On Nov. 13 I attended an event hosted by the funeral home that did my Uncle Jerry's funeral. The topic was grief and the holidays. I went with my parents and we all met in this beautiful room at the funeral home in Hartford.



The speaker was a professional grief counselor. I only mention this event because as she talked I first noticed that she avoided the topics of faith and eternal life completely and second that doing so left precious little for her to provide as comfort for the grieving families. I'm sure it was because she had to do it that way for the sake of "political correctness" and all, but it really struck me as we sat there and were encouraged to share memories of our loved ones that life without faith is empty indeed. Memories are great but they are NOTHING compared to the comfort of knowing your loved ones are at peace in heaven and that we will be with them again someday. It was a powerful and comforting reality check that came for me at a really important time.

In between the thyroid appointments and Judy's funeral we welcomed all the kids home. On this first visit of Nick's after his deployment he distributed the gifts he had brought from Afghanistan. The girls and I all got beautiful scarves. Richard also got one and got silly with it.

This is his "Afghanistan National" imitation. He is shouting...whatever it is they shout while brandishing a weapon (in this case his fingers).

Silly boy.

Just as when Richard returned home, all of Nick's stuff in the trunk was full of sand. You can see it here embedded in the seams of his leather case...

 
Gizmo was very interested in the contents of the trunk also, but only so far as he was able to hide his ball in it. That is what he is doing here. That dog has issues...


As well as a beautiful scarf for me, Nick also brought home this absolutely GORGEOUS little trinket box...


...and this rock to put in it. OEF-12 stands for Operation Enduring Freedom 2012. FOB means Forward Operating Base at Shukvani which is where he picked up the rock. (For those who don't know, I like to save rocks or other little items from places we or the kids have been.)


We also gathered together some of the sand that lined the bottom of Nick's trunk...


...now we have a little bit of Afghanistan right here with us in the USA!

Nick had an extra special gift he brought back for Tanya...



It is a beautiful little mortar and pestle for her collection. I think it is safe to say she really likes it!



I believe I can speak for all of us when I say that we are very thankful Nick is home safe and sound, and my prayers continue to go out for the families of the service men and women that are still out there in harm's way.

Today, December 27th, has been a very quiet day for me. It is a perfect time to reflect on all the blessings we have enjoyed the last month and a half. It is going to be a joy to get this blog updated. My heart is full!

Scripture Verse of the Day:
"Rejoice in the LORD and be glad, you righteous;
     sing, all you who are upright in heart!"
Psalm 32:11

No comments:

Post a Comment