Thursday, November 8, 2012

Low Key Days are Good

I didn't do much yesterday, I wasn't feeling well. But I'm doing much better today! Part of my problem I'm sure was being so disturbed about the outcome of the election. I admit I needed some time to come to terms with it and have had to frequently remind myself that God is in control and that everything will work out well.

For the sake of posterity here are the results...


My morning brightened when I got a chance to skype message with Jimmy...


I spend a lot of time thinking about and praying for Jimmy. He was scheduled to have a procedure on his arm yesterday. I thought it was going to be surgery, but in the end they just cleaned out his wound to make sure there was no infection. They'll be cleaing it out once more this week and then hopefull doing the bone graft on Friday. I pray it all goes well. He's been through a lot already. When we were at Camp Lejeune Jimmy gave me some of the pictures which I thought were really interesting and want to share. (I'll spare you the really gross ones that show the actual injury. )

Jimmy Gornyecz is a buddy of Nick's. He's from Michigan originally. Right now he's in Virginia where he is getting treatment for his arm. He was injured in a vehicle roll-over that ended in a 30 foot drop into a drainage canal. Jimmy's right arm was shattered in the accident. Another buddy, Zach Nelson who was up in the gun turret broke his back in the accident.

When we first got news we were told it was an IED explosion but later learned that it was a roll-over due to a large rock that was in the road. There is some speculation that it was put there by insurgents because the road had been clear previously. Jimmy's vehicle had a mine roller attached (long bars with wheels at the end that extend out in front of the vehicle to trigger explosives hidden in the roadways). The mine roller went up over the rock, sheared off and disabled the steering of the vehicle which went forward up over the mine roller and then tipped to the side and rolled into a 30 ft deep drainage canal.

The picture below was taken shortly after the accident. The black band on Jimmy's arm is a tourniquet. His injury was so bad he was in danger of bleeding out. Every time I see this picture I just marvel that he can be smiling and giving a thumbs up. Below are pictures he shared with me of his "hardware" that is reconstructing his arm.

 
I'm sure this guy is going to have all kinds of fun trying to go through air ports!



Jimmy called yesterday afternoon to say the procedure to wash out his wound went well and things are still on for Friday. He is planning to be with us at our house for Thanksgiving this year. I really hope what they do on Friday doesn't change that! Jimmy has become an adopted part of our family and it wouldn't seem the same if he weren't here.

Today I hit a small milestone in my  Bible reading plan. YouVersion has a reading plan that will have me completing reading the Bible in just one year. Today was day 215. I know, not overly exciting for you, but it was a small victories day for me. I finally got a good night sleep last night (thanks to my wonderful hubby stopping at the store on the way home to pick me up some sleeping pills.) I don't know why but I've had a lot of trouble sleeping more than three hours in a row lately. But today I feel great and I have conquered some cleaning and laundry.

I also finally figured out the dishcloth knitting pattern I've been trying to perfect. It only took me four tries in the end.

 
Then I wasted some time taking pictures of the dogs who have appropriated the blue chair in the dining room as their own sleeping space. Gizmo rarely sits still so I had to take advantage of him in his "studdly" pose.

 

The girls, especially Lexi, couldn't be bothered to pose for pictures. Napping was way too important.

 
And now the day has slipped away from me again and it is time to make dinner. I'm thinking tater-tot hotdish would be nice tonight. I made fish last night and it was a disaster. It tasted extremely fishy, or as Natalie likes to say (and in this case I agree with her) it tasted like licking the inside of a fish tank. Blech, I can still taste it. It was very disappointing.
 
Tiffany is leaving tonight to spend some time with friends at Carroll and Jim has a church meeting so I guess it will be another quiet night at home for me and Natalie. Maybe we'll have to watch a movie or something. Richard accidentally left his DVDs behind when he went back to New Ulm. He said we could watch them, I think tonight I'll take him up on that. He has a very extensive collection...
 

Oooh, oooh, he has Mask of Zorro and Men in Black, which one to choose? Maybe we'll have to watch both! Just as long as it's not something that gives me nightmares. :)

 
 
Photo of the Day:
 
 
Scripture Verse of the Day:
 
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Rom. 12:12

No comments:

Post a Comment